Wednesday, July 20, 2011

First Class Taters and Cream





If you haven't been to Lick's get the eff there now. Lick's is the best fast food there is period. My favourite thing to get at Lick's is the veggie burger with taters and cream. Taters and cream is french fry heaven. I've taken to making my french fries at home these days because I feel like if you make it yourself it's not quite as terrible for you. I'm not sure how much merit that holds but it sounds good right? I'm sure there must be some study somewhere to back me up on that claim. If nothing else you know some degenerate teenager didn't spit in your food and give you Hep B.

I like to make my fries even less healthy for me every once in a while too. I mean why stop at oil and salt? So sometimes I'll make my own homemade taters and cream or even put a little hollandaise sauce and green onion on my fries...the possibilities are endless really. The other day though it occurred to me that I could take my taters and cream from ordinary to extraordinary with a fantastic thing called Truffle Honey. Have you ever had truffle honey? If not that's #2 of things to eat on your list right after Lick's. The first time you eat truffle honey you have to do it proper. That is get yourself a strong aged cheddar and a small jar of truffle honey and put just a little bit if honey on your cube of cheese. Your mouth will orgasm. Experience truffle honey in this way first and then your ready to push on to other things. But you really need to get the earthy sweetness of having it in a pretty pure form before branching out as I've done in this recipe.



To make your First Class Taters and Cream get some french fry potatoes. Yes they do sell those - check the bulk section of potatoes and they should be there. (Usually with a little brown bag to put them in.) Give them a good scrub and then slice 'em up and lightly coat in oil and salt to taste. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or so at around 400-425. (flipping half way thru) On top of your baked french fries you want to pile shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream that has had truffle honey stirred into it (about 1 tbsp of honey to 1/2 cup of sr cream), crispy bacon chopped into bacon bits and chopped green onion. There you have First Class Taters and Cream. Like I said I just had an epiphany of this recipe the other day so you may want to tweak this to your own tastes but you will not be let down by this one. Or a least I wasn't.



PS - don't go by my layering in the photo you want cheese directly ontop of the fries so it gets melty and gooey!

No comments:

Post a Comment